Thursday 31 January 2013

Talking Tarantino

This blog entry is dedicated to one of my absolute favourite film makers; Quentin Tarantino.  The man's name is synonymous with over-the-top violence, memorable characters and in many instances controversy.  What's that old saying? Controversy creates cash.  That is just what Mr. Tarantino has done for the last 20+ years in Hollywood.  He is solely responsible for some of the greatest films ever made while remaining fresh in movie-goers minds every time he puts out a new feature.  I truly believe he's one of the best screenwriters and directors of all time.

I should begin with stating my love for Quentin's dialogue.  At one time I was an aspiring screenwriter...let's just say I dabble in it now (Advertising kind of put that one on the back-burner). What draws me to screenwriting is that you have an outlet to play out whatever you want for your story.  Do you want to write about an epic sci-fi adventure? crime? horror?  The possibilities are endless.  I fell in love with the possibilities.  However, what truly captured me was what I could create when it came to my characters and more importantly what they would say.  I love writing dialogue.  Probably because it's something that allows me to think about what I would say in real life and bring that realism to a piece of fiction.  Then again sometimes it's fun to write something for a character that is nothing like you.  They can be the biggest badass in the world, or a crazed killer and whatever they say is up to you.

The point of my dialogue rant is that I personally believe that there are very few screenwriters that can make dialogue seem "real".  Or at least give off that effect.  Truth be told, not every screenwriter has to. A lot of films that are released are visual spectacles that rely on special effects or and good direction.  That's fine and it works.  I love a good spectacle.  However, Tarantino offers this alternative perspective that isn't given enough credit.  He writes in a way that makes you feel like you have had this conversation before.  He touches on taboo topics that we've thought about, but perhaps were too politically correct or timid to talk about.  For example...two of my favourite conversations to take place on film are in Tarantino flicks.  Please, do yourself a favour and watch the following clips.

 Exhibit 1:  Reservoir Dogs



I love this scene.  Not because Steve Buscemi is gracing my visual presence with his acting genius, but because this conversation...well, it's more of an argument is so real.  Two sides are presented about something that I'll admit...I've often thought of.  Now, I believe most people would side with the waitress getting a tip, but what can't be argued is that Mr. Pink's case is justified.  He makes valid points and every time I watch this scene I almost feel like I'm sitting with the group.  That's effective screenwriting.

Exhibit #2:  Pulp Fiction



It was really hard to pick just one clip from one of my favourite movies of all time to show an example of why I love Tarantino's dialogue, but I feel like this is the best example from Pulp Fiction.  These two fine actors (who I will not name because if you don't know who they are then you've most likely been living under a rock) are talking about foot massages!  That is the basis for a nearly five-minute scene, and yet it's written in a way that compels you to listen, make judgements and once again hear both sides.  You'll also find yourself siding with one of the two characters. My personal opinion...throwing Tony Rocky Horror out of a window for maybe massaging Mia Wallace's feet was a bit excessive.  

Perhaps it's time for me to climb out of Mr. Tarantino's ass.  I just can't help but continually be impressed by what he churns out.  Every one of his movie's is the same but different.  He has created his own style by borrowing a little bit from different auteurs throughout the years and has made some of the most entertaining, outlandish, hilarious, and intense films ever made.  His films are the films that I aspire to write and make.  I look forward to seeing what he comes up with next.





http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000233/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

No comments:

Post a Comment