Wednesday 30 January 2013

Talking Argo

This past weekend I had to opportunity to pay a visit to the movie theatre, so being me I obviously capitalized on it.  The choices were Lincoln or Argo.  I want to see both before the Academy Awards, but seeing as Argo just won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Drama it seemed like a clear indicator that that's the film I should see before the big night. On a side note, it was my birthday a little over a week ago and I got a Cineplex gift card and there's nothing quite like a free movie (at least on my end).

For those of you who might not know, Argo (directed and starring Ben Affleck) is about a CIA operative that sets up an elaborate plan to rescue six American diplomats stranded in Iran during civil unrest in 1980.  The plan you ask?  Set up a fake movie location scout with the intention of passing off the six would-be American prisoners as a Canadian film crew in order for them to get back home.  All the better is that this isn't just some hollywood screenwriter's idea for a good movie; this actually happened.  I was yet to be born, but from what I understand this was a major event in the late 70's and early 80's.  More close to my heart is the fact that the Canadian government played a major role in the rescue of the Americans.




Argo proved to be a compelling story about an incredibly tense situation and how one wild idea could either pay off or everything could go terribly wrong.  Affleck was successful in bringing this historical event to the big screen after the case itself was declassified in the 90's.  The film stands as an interesting and insightful political thriller that any citizen of the United States or Canada should go out of their way to see.  I say this because unlike a lot of films put out today, Argo ultimately sends the audience home with the positive message of how governments came together in the attempt to rescue these people.  There are moments of seriousness, hilarity, tenseness and relief as any good film should manipulate the viewers emotions to feel for the characters on screen.

After seeing the film, Argo seems like an odd choice for the Academy to notice and if it hadn't just won a major movie award I would say it would be a long shot to win on Oscar night.  Not because it's inferior to the other pictures nominated, but because it doesn't seem like the type of film usually recognized with the prestigious golden man.  I've now seen only three of the nine pictures nominated in the Best Motion Picture category, but if I was to just judge based off of the three I've seen then it should be a tough race.  The diehard Tarantino fan in my wants to say Django Unchained should take it and my undying crush for my future wife Jennifer Lawrence makes me want Silver Linings Playbook to win.  However Ben Affleck was able to put together an excellent ensemble of actors and actresses for a film that puts the often criticized governments of Canada and the U.S. in a positive light, and for that reason it wouldn't be a crime for him and the crew to be recognized for the superb storytelling displayed in Argo.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024648/?ref_=sr_1

No comments:

Post a Comment